After starting the user console installed on a remote network computer, the ApexSQL Monitor service cannot be located and this warning message is displayed:
Service is not located. Please try a different machine name or port, or verify that the service is running
ApexSQL Monitor 2014.02.0061 and earlier
For users that experience this issue, the problem can be solved by allowing access to ApexSQL Monitor through the firewall. To resolve this issue, follow the steps below:
For Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008
- Open the Control Panel on the machine where the ApexSQL Monitor service is installed
- Go to Security Center and click Windows Firewall
- Click Change settings
- Under Exceptions, click Add port and then enter a name and the port number 39478. Use “ApexSQL Monitor Service” name to identify that this exception is for ApexSQL Monitor
- Click OK.
For Windows 7/Server 2008R2 and later
- On the machine where the ApexSQL Monitor service is installed, open Windows Firewall. From the Control Panel, select System and Security then Windows Firewall
- Select Advanced settings
- Select Inbound Rules
- Select New Rule
- Select Port as the type of rule to create, then click Next
- Choose TCP as the port type, then under Specific local ports, enter the ApexSQL Monitor port number 39478
- Click Next
- Select Allow the connection
- Click Next, then choose the type of profile for the rule
- Click Next, then enter a name “ApexSQL Monitor Service” to identify that this exception is for ApexSQL Monitor
- Click Finish.
Additional details are available in this Microsoft KB article
ApexSQL plans to fix this issue in the next release by allowing users to choose the port number which will be used and to automatically add that port number to the Windows firewall exception rule during the installation process.