This article explains how to resolve the problem if ApexSQL Audit’s Web console shows no audited information, due to nothing being captured; what to check and how to fix any individual cause.
ApexSQL Audit’s Web console shows no audited information, due to nothing being captured.
There can be several reasons for this issue:
- ApexSQL Audit service is not running.
- The Log On account used for ApexSQL Audit service is not allowed to connect to the SQL Server instance.
- The audited ApexSQL Audit instance is not enlisted/connected in the central instance’s GUI.
Depending on the cause, the following steps should be performed:
- To fix the service not running problem:
- Run the Services applet in Windows Control Panel on the computer which hosts the audited SQL Server.
- Check whether the ApexSQL Audit service is running.
- If it is not running, start the service manually.
- Set the Startup type option in service properties to Automatic.
- To fix the Log On account problem:
- Run the Services applet in Windows Control Panel on the computer which hosts the audited SQL Server instance.
- Check which account is used for the Log On As property for the ApexSQL Audit service.
- Run SQL Server Management Studio.
- Open the Properties dialog for the account used in the step b. and check whether it is a member of the sysadmin Server role.
- If the account is not a member of the sysadmin fixed server role, add it to the sysadmin role by checking the appropriate checkbox.
- To check and fix the issue where an audited instance is not enlisted/connected to the central instance:
- Run the ApexSQL Audit GUI.
- Check whether all audited SQL Server instances are enlisted in the left sidebar of the GUI.
- If not, add the desired SQL Server instance by clicking Add Server.
- • Check whether all desired SQL Server instances are actually being audited or auditing has been stopped: audited SQL Server instances are marked with icon and not audited with icon
- If auditing has not been started, start auditing the desired SQL Server instance by clicking the Start button in the main toolbar of ApexSQL Audit GUI